60 Most Amazing and Superb Computer Facts
In today’s world computers are everywhere. Many of us can’t live a day without our computer. So this post is dedicated to computers where we will be presenting you Most Interesting and Superb Computer Facts.
There are many interesting computer facts that you would be amazed to read and we hope you will enjoy reading this article. We have taken facts not only from computers but also from other related subjects such as technology and Laptops.
Let’s look at 60 Most Awesome and Superb Computer Facts that you would be amazed to read them.
- Charles Babbage who is also called ‘Father of Computers’ invented a computer in 1833 that had many parts that are in modern day computer. But first ‘modern’ computer was made 120 years after that.
- In 1980, World’s first One GigaByte disk drive was made which costs around US$40,000 with a weight of 550 pounds(around 227Kg). Thanks to Electronics engineers who have reduced the size of the Hard Disk from 227Kg to only few grams.
- World’s first computer mouse was made of Wood in 1964 by Doug Engelbart. It had only a cord connected to it, and it was interpreted as the tail of the mouse. That’s why it was called as “Mouse” of the computer.
- Generally, we blink our eyes 20 times a minutes but when it comes to a computer screen, we blink only 7 times a minute. This shows that how concentrated we are when we are doing something on our computer.
- Original Macintosh had 47 signatures, which were of each member of Apple’s Macintosh division inside it.
- All major computer and software companies such as HP, Google, Microsoft, and Apple started out of garages. And now they have the power to buy whole countries, isn’t that awesome.
- The first removable media was introduced in IBM 1311. It was the size of a big Modern day printer and it had a storage capacity of around 5 Megabytes.
- In the Standard Qwerty Keyboard, using only the first row,“Typewriter” is the longest word that you can write.
- “The Dirty Dozen” was the name given to team of 12 engineers who developed IBM’s first computer.
- In 1979, world’s first Hard Disk was made which could store upto 5 MB of data. And low now, we can store up to terabytes in our HardDisks.
- “Windows” Operating System was originally named ‘Interface Manager’ by Microsoft. Microsoft through “Windows” to be more appealing and that’s why they changed the name.
- More than 80% of the emails sent every day are Spams.
- Bill Gate, the founder of Microsoft Cooperation was a College Drop Out. His House was designed using a Macintosh Computer.
- “00000000”, was the password for the computer control of Nuclear Missiles in USA for almost 8 years.
- Only 8% of the total world’s currency is real physical money. Rest exits in computers only in the form of Digital Money only.
- More than 1 Million Domain Names are registered every month. You can understand the massive expansion of internet using this fact.
- World first Microprocessor made for calculator by Intel was Model 4004.
- You might have seen CAPTCHA in many websites? Its full form is “Completely Automated Public Turing Test to tell Computers and Humans Apart”.
- In 1936, Russians were the first to invent a computer that could be used in Water.
- Sweden is the country where more than 75% of the population are Internet Users. Isn’t these computer facts awesome.
- Do you know which was the first Domain Name registered over the internet? It was named, ‘www.symbolis.com’, first domain name registered over the internet.
- The first actual computer “bug” was a Moth which was stuck in a computer named Harvard Mark II in 1947.
- Amazon, which was originally a Printed Book Seller Company, now sells more E-Books than the printed books. Thanks to Amazon kindle for making reading E-Book so comfortable.
- Do you know? which came first Email or World Wide Web. The answer is Email, first email was sent in 1971 by Ray Tomlinson while first World Wide Web was created in 1989 by Tim Berners Lee.
- You know how many damages a Virus can do, damage in terms of money. MyDoom was the fastest-spreading virus ever created on the internet. It did total damage of $38 Billion all around the world. However, now Antivirus software has improved a lot and chance of no detecting this kind of virus is negligible.
- A virus named “ILOVEYOU” is one of the most dangerous virus ever created. It could replicate itself and would finally crash the system. How users were affected by this was:
- Users got a email, which was in the form of love letter from secret person.
- The user, when clicked on the attachment, then magic happens.
- Boom, your system is corrupted. So, in future beware of these kinds of fake emails.
- You know, first GUI based Operating System was created by Xerox and was named “Xerox Alto“. Then, Apple copied this concept and today we have Apple Macintosh computer. The original created didn’t succeed as much as the people who copied the idea. That’s why the saying goes, “Good Artists Create and Great Artists Steal“.
- 9 out of 10 Supercomputers run on Linux, this clearly demonstrates its power and efficiency. You can have a look at the articles called “Linux Mint vs Ubuntu“. If you want to get into Computer programming world, definitely try a try to Linux.
- Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Twitter and all other tech giants are powered by Linux OS. It’s the best OS ever designed but the thing is it’s not as user-friendly as Windows OS but in terms of efficiency and customization, it leads other Operating Sytems everytime.
- The first website to introduce the concept of “Web Banner Advertisement” was HotWired.com and now its called Wired.com.
Let’s see next 30 other Computer Facts
We hope you would be enjoying these facts about computer history. We will provide you with next 30 unknown facts about computer science/technology below:
- In 1978, a company named Apple Corps(which was a music company owned by Beatles) sued Apple Corporation for Trademark Infringement. Apple Computers had to pay $80,000 to Apple Corps and both settled on condition that Apple Computers would not enter music business and Apple Corps would not enter the Computer Business.
- The worst breach of U.S Military was when they found a memory stick( This memory stick was affected by Malicious code by some foreign intelligence agency) in the parking lot and plugged into their computers which were connected to US Central Command. From there this virus spread to other systems also. They spend 14 months cleaning the bug. It led to the creation of the “US Cyber Command“. The defense against the attack was called “Operation Buckshot Yankee”.
- First Web Browser was created by Sir Time Berners-Lee in 1990 which was named “WorldWideWeb” but later was renamed as “Nexus“. Also first website that went online was made by him, which was called “info.cern.ch” and was made for CERN Research Lab in 1990.
- The famous movie “Toy Story 2” was accidently deleted from Official Servers. Now, the movie was recovered by with the help of a lady called Susan,who had the movie on her personal computer.
- John Lasseter(CEO of Pixar) was fired from Disney for promoting Computer Animation.
- Three Students in Nevada cracked teachers usernames and password by installing “Keystroke Loggers” on their teachers computers. They charged $300 from students to increase their grades by logging into the Teachers Accounts.
- Alan Turing is the “father of Computer Science” and “Artificial Intelligence”. He helped break German Cyphers in World War 2 due to which many millions of lives were saved. He committed suicide because he was forced to goto Hormonal treatment for homosexuality. Pretty sad, ending of a genius’s life.
- In September 1956 IBM launched first ‘Super Computer” called 305 RAMAC with Hard Disk(HDD). This HDD weighed over a ton and stored only 5 MB of data.
- MIT has developed a Computer Software that can identify and distinguish between real smile from the smile of frustration.
- In 1988, the Internet was about to be paralyzed by a computer virus in America. A quick thinker saved the virus from running by quickly pulling the plug off. This can be one of the unknown facts about Computer Technology and also one of the interesting facts about Computer Viruses.
- Do you know why ‘computer’ word used for the first time? It was used to describe a human that could do Mathematical Calculations. By this definition, we all are also ‘computers’ :).
- Programma 101 or P101 is the first commercial programmable “Desktop Computer” produced by Olivetti, an Italian Manufacturer. In today’s prices it would cost $24,500( Rs. 25,00,000).
- “Williams Tube” was the first available Random-access Storage Device like today’s RAM.
- In 1969, the largest available RAM was of size 1 KB which was made by Intel.
- Scroll Lock is the least utilized key on Keyboard and many think it is a completely useless key. What do you think, I think it’s useless, I haven’t used it once in my life.
- You have used Firefox browser and also seen its logo. Most of us think that its a fox, but actually its a Red Panda which lives in the Himalayas and Southwestern China. The English word for Red Panda is ‘Firefox’, that’s where the browser gets its name.
- The very first Apple Logo was Sir Issac Newton sitting underneath a tree and Apple is falling and about to hit his head.
- You cannot reverse a Bitcoin Transaction if it is initiated. There is no reverse in a transaction, therefore do transfer Bitcoins with care.
- The first VCR, made in 1956 was the size of a Paino.
- On 1st April,2005 Nasa played a prank with the world telling that They found water on Mars.
- World first camera took 8 hours to take a single photo.
- Ubuntu the most famous Linux Distro’s name comes from African Word meaning “I am because of You”. Pretty cool hah.
- ‘Sega Mega Drive” Game released in 2010 was so popular that it was sold out before its release.
- Apple Lisa was the first commercial computer with GUI(Graphical User Interface) and mouse. It was launched in June 1983.
- ‘Macintosh’ was inspired by an Apple family named “Mcintosh”.
- The Sony PS4 was first released in Europe and Australia on 29th November 2013. After weeks week, it was launched in America.
- Radio tool 38 years to reach people of 50 million, while Television took 13 years to ran each audience of 50 Million. Now, iPod took 3 years to reach the audience of 50 Million. You can see the craze of iPods from here.
- The first Alarm Clock could ring only at 4 am.
- You know Google rents Goats from a company named California Grazing to cut down weeds and grasses.
- The Sega Dreamcast was the first console to allow Online Play Feature.
We hope you loved these 60 interesting computer facts.
Visit ursuperb.com for more exciting Tech Articles.