- 1 10 Best Windows 10 Dark Themes
- 1.1 1. Windows 10 Official Dark Theme
- 1.2 2. Nocturnal W10 (Best Windows 10 Dark Theme)
- 1.3 3. Dark/Gray Official Windows 10 Dark Theme
- 1.4 4. Penumbra 10 Windows 10 Dark Edition
- 1.5 5. Ades Dark Theme – Dark Windows 10 Themes
- 1.6 6. Hover Dark Aero – Windows 10 Dark Theme
- 1.7 7. Yosemite Dark & Light – Windows 10 dark edition theme
- 1.8 8. After Dark Cyan theme
- 1.9 9. Void – Windows 10 dark theme by Devianart
- 1.10 10. Hastpy Windows 10 Dark Edition
10 Best Windows 10 Dark Themes
Windows 10 has become very popular now. Every new laptop has Windows 10 installed in it, although there are many themes available for Windows 10 but Windows 10 dark themes are special as they don’t only look cool on our computer also they are eye-friendly i.e they put less strain on our eyes. Windows 10 dark themes are best suited for rooms where light is very low or its dark. So, in this article, we present you 10 best Windows 10 dark themes which are free to download and will look awesome on your Laptop or PC.
1. Windows 10 Official Dark Theme
Microsoft has removed the official native dark theme from Windows 10 for which some users have criticized Windows 10. Although you can set high contrast option to make the theme dark but it’s not pleasant to the eye. In order to enable Windows 10 Official Dark Theme, you have to do Windows 10 Anniversary update. After the update, you can set the dark theme on your device.
Steps to follow to enable Windows 10 Official Dark Theme is:
- Go to Settings
- Select Personalization
Now here you can select themes you like. There is an option to select Dark Theme so you can select it. But one problem is that the dark color would not be effective on third-party applications such as Google Chrome, FireFox, Microsoft Office. For that you have to manually change the themes of these apps to dark. If you are not able to get Windows 10 Anniversary update? No problem, now you have to do some tweaks to enable dark theme.
Let’s look at the tweak we have to perform:
- Goto Start and then click on Run or type Windows key + r.
- No in Run Command box type regedit (this is for registry edit).
- Now in the window that comes, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize.
- Create a DWORD value named AppsUseLightTheme with value 0.
- Goto HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize.
- Again, create a new DWORD named AppsUseLightTheme and set its value to 0.
- Restart your computer.
Now after this all Window Apps would be running on the Dark Theme. However, its best to do windows 10-anniversary update and we wouldn’t recommend this as its substitute.
Also if you want to revert back the change so you can delete the new registry entry(AppsUseLightTheme) or you can change its value to 1 for applying Light Theme.
If you are interested visit, our 11 Best Webcam Recording Software for Windows/Mac article.
As the name suggests nocturnal, this theme is Dark and you would love using it. This theme is compatible only with Windows 10 and not previous versions such as Windows 7 or 8. Its fast, clean and its dark color looks awesome with Windows 10. The beauty of this theme is that it darkens window from Control Panel to Windows Explorer, i.e each part of your Windows 10 will be changed to Dark. But it’s not available by default in Windows 10 so you have to install it.
First, you have to download these four third-party applications. These are:
After Downloading them, you can use the official guide(which is given at theme download page) to install the Nocturnal W10 theme. After downloading the theme, you have to install font named Sans Semibold. This font is added to the Nocturnal W10 theme so if you don’t install this font then the theme would not give the best experience. This is one of the best Windows 10 Dark Themes. Do give it a try.
Visit Nocturnal W10 Official Theme Website here.
Although this theme is not available by default in Windows Themes option. You can Download this theme here. You have to paste the Downloaded files to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes. Now you can select this theme and enjoy Windows 10 dark theme. Best thing is that it changes everything to Dark color including all applications such as File Explorer, My Computer, and all other applications. The theme is not completely dark but its light gray in color. You may install it if you don’t like dark themes to be completely black.
This theme is for Windows 10 only and not for previous Windows Versions.
This theme uses non-varying contrast and doesn’t have any unpleasant colors on the theme. So you would love this theme. But this is not Windows 10 default theme, so you have to download some third-party applications to install and run this theme.
Cation: There can be some problems with the theme such as text not visible, so it is advised to take a System Restore point.
Steps to install Penumbra 10 theme are:
- Download and install UXStyle Patch.
- Open the tool and using this Disable Ribbon UI.
- Download Penumbra 10 Theme and then copy ‘Visual Style’ folder into “C:\Windows\Resources\Themes”.
- Now you can set Penumbra 10 theme via Right Click on Desktop > click Personalize option > Goto Themes > Then Theme Settings. From here from the available themes, select Penumbra W10 and Apply it.
Ades Dark Theme is one of the most awesome Windows 10 Dark Themes. It is not completely dark but a mixture of grey and some light dark or soft colors. But still, it is good for getting rid of eye-strains and is soothing to eyes. The theme contains a mixture of Soft Blue, Green and Grey color combinations in various parts of the Screen. You can look at how awesome this theme looks in the Ades Dark Theme Screenshot given below.
The theme is made for Windows 10 users, so if you install the theme in previous Windows versions then you may experience some issues. Good thing is that installation of this theme is very easy.
Steps to download and install the theme:
- Download Ades theme here.
- Recommended: Make a System Restore Point ( As if you install the wrong version of theme then your system may Break Down)
- You have to use UXThemePatcher a third-party tool for patching to install third-party themes.
- Open the tool and using this Disable Ribbon UI.
- From the downloaded theme, copy ‘Visual Style’ folder into “C:\Windows\Resources\Themes”.
- Now you can set Ades Dark theme via Right Click on Desktop > click Personalize option > Goto Themes > Then Theme Settings. From here from the available themes, select Ades Dark Theme and Apply it.
This theme has dark colors and has a very good fusion of black and gray color. The unique thing about this theme is that it has the translucent look of the menu and title bar. You would fall in love with this theme.
For using this theme you have to do following steps:
- Download PatchUxtheme third-party application and run it.
- The theme you downloaded place the downloaded folder into C:\Windows\Resources\Themes.
- Now you can goto Desktop themes and Activate this theme.
It is a perfect combination of Light and Dark colors, so the theme is not completely dark. So for people who love absolutely dark themes then this theme is not for them.
Theme installation Steps:
- Download and run PatchUxtheme on your system.
- Install theme by placing the theme folder into “C:\Windows\Resources\Themes”.
- Activate the theme Choosing this theme from Desktop Theme option.
This theme is one of the best themes created by DevainArt and is specially made for Windows 10. It has Dark and Grey colors, but there will be some places on the screen where you will get the feel of Cyan color, which makes this theme very beautiful and elegant. Anybody who loves Cyan color then this theme would be perfect windows 10 dark theme for him.
Theme Installation Steps:
- Download and install PatchUxtheme
- Placing the theme folder into “C:\Windows\Resources\Themes”.
- Choose this theme from Desktop Theme Settings option.
Although the name is void but this theme is perfect windows 10 dark theme. It has a perfect dark look by combining coral red, gray and black color. All the windows look very beautiful and clean. You can read installation steps at the Theme Download page.
This last Windows 10 dark edition them is also one of the best dark themes you will see. It has a combination of light gray and dark gray which together looks and feels awesome on your computer.
Theme installation is same as After Dark Cyan theme. You have to download and install PatchUxtheme. Then copy the downloaded theme into “C:\Windows\Resources\Themes” location and activate the theme by selecting Hastpy theme from Desktop Themes Settings.
So that would be all in this post about 10 Best Windows 10 Dark Themes. I hope you enjoyed reading this article. Say tuned with ursuperb.com for more Tech Tips and Tricks.